Wednesday, March 18, 2009

It's All Relative


A friend of mine was recently describing his workplace to me, and I couldn't help but evaluate it (in my head) as if it were supposed to be an Agile environment (which it isn't). I realize that that's a bit of a strange reaction to have, but it happened nonetheless.

So here's a thumbnail sketch of what I envisioned as I heard more about the office in question:
  1. Leadership style - From what I could tell, it sounded like a very Command & Control setup, although I was interpreting from just one person's comments. The managers keep a very tight grip on all of the decision-making, to the degree that the expression "micro management" kept coming to mind as he related some of the day-to-day occurrences. In his view, this level of hands-on guidance was completely normal and expected from management, but I marveled at how unaccustomed to that style I'd become in recent years.
  2. Trust - People in the office are all on fairly short leashes in terms of working hours, as one example of where trust is lacking. Even back in my pre-Agile days as a manager, I think I established a fairly easy-going attitude when it came to things like people needing to shift their hours around or take time off for personal stuff. Therefore it was quite eye-opening to hear about a white collar shop, in 2009, that still operates under very rigid rules in that regard. When I asked about it, I was told that "someone in the past had abused [flex time], and so now they don't allow that sort of thing." Rather than simply penalizing the person in question and extending trust to the rest, I guess the decision was made not to trust anyone with that kind of latitude.
  3. Transparency - The funniest example I heard involved some data that was being gathered about productivity within the group. At first I was excited to hear that metrics were being used, but then it turned out that the information wasn't going to be shared with the "rank and file" because of fears that they'd adjust their behaviour (in the wrong direction) if they saw the data! That was just mind-blowing to me, but it probably shouldn't have been. After all, transparency is certainly not the norm, no matter how much we might want it to be.
  4. Empowerment - Because it's always been a favourite topic of mine, I tried to ask the sort of questions that would give me some sense of how empowered employees were at this company. The impression I got was that some of the leaders play what I like to refer to as "the false empowerment game", which goes as follows: I tell you to do something but I don't tell you how or give you many details. When you proceed to do what you think I wanted done, then I look at the results and say, "That's not right. I want it to be more like this." After a few more iterations like that, we finally end up with the correct product. (So, in one sense at least, they're doing iterative development!) The problem with that approach is that it wastes a lot of time and teaches the staff not to make decisions.
Now, as I say: this isn't an Agile office that I was hearing about, so there's no reason why they should be expected to live up to Agile principles. And yet I couldn't help but wonder just how much better they might be doing if it were, and they were.

No comments: