Saturday, May 9, 2009

A Horse Of A Different Colour


I'm venturing back into the work force on Monday, but with a twist. After 22 years of full-time employment, this will be my first experience as a contractor. Also, the work I'll be doing looks to be at least somewhat unlike anything I've ever done before.

I'll be performing a review of the development environment of a local company, in order to provide some guidance as they continue to refine their practices and processes. I think that I landed the contract on the strength of a couple factors in particular: my rather far-reaching involvement throughout my last employment as the Agile Manager, as well as the general breadth and depth of my resume, to date.

On that former point, it seemed relevant in the job interview that I had had some recent experience bringing change to an organization. I talked about how much I'd learned in the process, especially regarding the importance of being patient with people as they absorb information and evaluate it through their own personal filters. There's also naturally an element of trust required in something like that. I likened it to the expression about leading a horse to water but not being able to make it drink. My job often seemed to involve repeating that process, over and over again, until the horse finally trusted me enough (or maybe just got thirsty enough!) to take its first sip. (Not that I think of co-workers as horses! It's just an analogy!!)

By the same token, I think that the wide-ranging roles that I've performed over the past two decades also helped get me a foot in this particular door. I've worked on big mainframes and small client/server infrastructures; I've coded procedural algorithms (COBOL, C, Assembly language) as well as Object-Oriented solutions (C++, Java); I've been a "do-er" and a manager ("do-nothing-er"?); I've worked within well-understood roles but at other times had to define my own job. In fact, my resume, when I take the time to actually look at it (usually when I'm updating it), speaks volumes about the fact that I like new challenges. I've tended to change "jobs" (but not employers) at a pretty predictable rate of roughly every two years or so! And that's been true all along, showing that even as a wet-behind-the-ears programmer back in the 80s I was always looking for change as soon as I got comfortable with what I was doing. I think the pattern usually went: a few months of being a newbie, a year or maybe two of competence or better, and then on to the next thing. That cycle has given me a lot of varying experiences to draw on by now, it seems.

At any rate, I'll definitely be learning about a whole new set of parameters, starting next week. I'll be comparing what I see in front of me to my mental backlog of best practices. I'll be discovering what strengths and opportunities are in effect in an environment that's quite different than anywhere I've worked before, and making recommendations on each. And I'll be building up a bunch of new relationships, right from scratch. All of which sounds like something that should be right up my alley, I hope!

No comments: